Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting is a classic combination. At Sukhi’s, we love to get creative and add a bit of extra flavor. We made the classic carrot cupcake and added crystallized ginger and a dollop of Sukhi’s Tomato Chutney into the batter. It might sound odd at first, but the sweetness of tomato and spices together in Sukhi’s Tomato Chutney combined with carrots and ginger makes for a surprisingly delicious cupcake.
Indian-spiced Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
INDIAN-SPICED CARROT CUPCAKES
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 2/3 cups loosely packed finely-grated carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 3/4 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Sukhi's Tomato Chutney
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Sukhi's Tomato Chutney , finely chopped
To Make the Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
Mix eggs, both sugars, yogurt and oil in a separate bowl; add grated carrots and ginger.
Fold in flour mixture to egg mixture; scoop batter into lined cupcake pans. Fill each about 2/3 full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Cool completely on a baking rack and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting
To make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
Whip cream cheese, yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla together in a stand mixer until smooth. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Frost cupcakes and garnish with a shaving of carrot.